BCD Travel has issued the following statement in response to the seven staff at BCD Travel’s Kerry Group implant in Tralee, Co Kerry, who are protesting about the way they have been treated since being laid off:
“As a private, family owned company, we take our social obligations to the communities in which we operate very seriously. However, we must never lose sight of our responsibilities to all our employees, and failing to adjust to market realities would ultimately bring hardship to even greater numbers of employees and their families.
“Tough business decisions cannot be made without some controversy, but we always endeavour to act in good faith. We also think it’s important when tensions run high that the facts not be misrepresented. Here are the facts of the current situation.
“BCD Travel confirms that, as a result of business restructuring, we have now concluded the consultation process with our colleagues in Tralee.
- The company entered into negotiations with our colleagues, who were advised by SIPTU
- BCD Travel met directly on a number of occasions with our colleagues in the presence of SIPTU
- All employees based in Tralee were offered relocation to Dublin, our only other office in Ireland
- A small number of home working positions were offered
- The possibilities of home working to support BCD Travel’s operations in the UK and Europe were explored.
“When it became apparent that our colleagues were not prepared to accept relocation or the home working positions offered, we took further steps:
- BCD Travel arranged for a third-party consultant to meet with affected staff and offer support with CV writing and interview techniques
- The company extended their VHI cover beyond the transfer date to ensure our staff retained health insurance while they sought alternative employment
- BCD Travel arranged a Pensions Advisor to meet with the team and offer guidance
- The company arranged introductions to FÁS and the Department of Social Protection to ensure our colleagues were informed of their rights and opportunities
“It is regrettable that agreement could not be reached with these employees in relation to continuing their employment with our company.”