Wi-fi on buses, real-time travel information, and upgraded coaches and bus shelters are promised in a €1.1 million upgrade of Bus Éireann vehicles and facilities.
Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar said that the capital funding will be used to:
- Install wi-fi Internet access on Bus Éireann main commuter and city services
- Provide ‘real-time’ displays at eight bus stations around Ireland, giving up-to-the-minute service information
- Upgrade 10 double-decker buses in Cork and Galway
- Refurbish 20 city buses in Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford
- Upgrade or replace 25 new bus shelters on commuter routes
“The upgraded coaches will improve passenger experiences, and the provision of new wi-fi services will allow Bus Éireann to remain competitive,” he said. “The real-time passenger information signs will also help Bus Éireann competitively, while bringing a direct benefit to passengers.”