News

IAG to Make Cash Offer for Vueling

IAG to Make Cash Offer for Vueling

The Board of International Airlines Group, parent company of British Airways and Iberia, has decided to make a cash tender offer for 100% of the share capital of Barcelona-based low-cost carrier Vueling. Iberia already owns a 45.85% stake in Vueling, acquired in 2009, and IAG expects to pay €113 million for the remaining 54.15%.

Vueling LogoWillie Walsh, IAG Chief Executive, said: “With its leading position in Barcelona, European growth strategy and low cost base, Vueling has much to offer IAG. It has significantly increased capacity while remaining profitable, despite the Spanish economic slowdown, and already has extensive commercial arrangements with Iberia. We would plan to retain the current Vueling management team. The airline will also be able to generate some cost and revenue synergies as part of IAG, mainly through joint financing and procurement.”

Vueling carries about 12 million passengers a year and made a pre-tax profit of €14.8 million in 2011. Last month the airline unveiled plans to increase the number of destinations served from Barcelona by 28 to around 100 next summer.

IAG is working on a major restructuring of Iberia, which made an operating loss of €263 million in the first six months of the year. The overhaul is expected to involve as many as 7,000 job cuts. Iberia launched its own low-cost airline, Iberia Express, in March but has been in a year-long conflict with SEPLA, the Spanish pilots union, over pay and conditions. The Spanish Government appointed an arbitrator in a bid to resolve the dispute, which has led to strikes, but the situation is yet to be resolved.

Click to add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NEIL STEEDMAN has been a trade journalist, copywriter, editor and proofreader for 50 years, and News & Features Editor for ‘Irish Travel Trade News’ for the past 40 years.

More in News

Royal Caribbean International Myers-Briggs Company

Royal Caribbean International Teams Up with CPP-The Myers-Briggs Company

Neil SteedmanJanuary 17, 2018
Cork Airport Cork Travel Fair

Two-Day Cork Travel Fair in February

Neil SteedmanJanuary 17, 2018
Audrey Italy

Audrey Headon to Represent ‘Discovery Puglia’ and ‘Best Holidays in Italy’

Michael FloodJanuary 17, 2018
IMG_0833

Topflight Drops Worldwide Programme and Madeira for 2018

Michael FloodJanuary 16, 2018
EU PSD2

Irish Travel Agents on PSD2 Card Surcharges Ban

Neil SteedmanJanuary 16, 2018
Artists impression - Brittany Ferries Connemara

Brittany Ferries Announces New Cork-Santander Route

Michael FloodJanuary 16, 2018
Travel Deals

Great Value Travel Deals – 16th January 2018

Sarah SlatteryJanuary 16, 2018
SuperBreak Montenegro

SuperBreak Launches Short-Break Charter Packages from Belfast and Derry

Neil SteedmanJanuary 16, 2018
Job Opportunities

Click&Go Seeks Weekend or Part-Time Sales Executive

Neil SteedmanJanuary 16, 2018

Copyright © 2016 Belgrave Group Limited, C4 Nutgrove Office Park, Nutgrove Avenue, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14, Ireland