ICG Invests €165.2m in New Ship for Irish Ferries

ICG Invests €165.2m in New Ship for Irish Ferries

Irish Continental Group (ICG) is investing €165.2 million in a new cruise ferry that will operate on the Irish Ferries Dublin-Holyhead route. The new vessel will be able to accommodate 1,800 passengers and crew, with capacity for 330 freight units per sailing. 

The ferry is expected to be delivered by mid-2020 and, once in operation, will be the largest cruise ferry in the world in terms of vehicle capacity. It is expected to replace the schedule of the MV Ulysses, which in turn will replace the currently chartered vessel MV Epsilon in the Irish Ferries fleet.

This will allow for the deployment of the W.B. Yeats (due to arrive in mid-2018) full-time on the direct Ireland-France route alongside the MV Oscar Wilde.

German company Flensburger Schiffbau will complete the build of the new vessel, with 20% of the contract price paid in instalments during the construction phase. The remaining 80% will be paid on delivery, and ICG will borrow to finance the build.

Click to add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


NEIL STEEDMAN has been a trade journalist, copywriter, editor and proofreader for 50 years, and News & Features Editor for ‘Irish Travel Trade News’ for the past 40 years.

More in News

Topflight Lake Garda

Topflight Lists Top Five Italian Family Holidays for Summer 2018

Neil SteedmanJanuary 21, 2018
Amadeus cytric Travel & Expense

Spanish TMC to Offer Amadeus Corporate Solution to Clients Worldwide

Neil SteedmanJanuary 21, 2018
WB Yeats 1

New Irish Ferries Cruise Ferry ‘W.B. Yeats’ Named in Germany

Michael FloodJanuary 19, 2018
Silversea Mark Webber

Silversea Offers Q&A Session with F1’s Mark Webber

Neil SteedmanJanuary 19, 2018
dnata Dublin Airport Facility

Emirates Group Company dnata Opens Catering Facility at Dublin Airport

Neil SteedmanJanuary 18, 2018
Audrey Italy

Audrey Headon to Represent ‘Discovery Puglia’ and ‘Best Holidays in Italy’

Michael FloodJanuary 18, 2018
Banana Barracks

Lainey’s Adventures: Getting a Second-Year Working Holiday Visa in Australia

Neil SteedmanJanuary 18, 2018
Cork Airport Cork Travel Fair

Two-Day Cork Travel Fair in February

Neil SteedmanJanuary 18, 2018
Royal Caribbean International Myers-Briggs Company

Royal Caribbean International Teams Up with CPP-The Myers-Briggs Company

Neil SteedmanJanuary 18, 2018

Copyright © 2016 Belgrave Group Limited, C4 Nutgrove Office Park, Nutgrove Avenue, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14, Ireland