News

ITB Berlin Cancelled Over Coronavirus Fears

ITB Berlin Cancelled Over Coronavirus Fears

Organisers of the ITB Berlin tradeshow have been forced to cancel the annual event as the world continues to battle a coronavirus outbreak. As many as 150,000 international visitors had been expected at Messe Berlin, which was due to start next Wednesday, 4th March.

Wolf-Dieter Wolf, Chairman of the supervisory board of Messe Berlin, said: “In their now 54-year history ITB Berlin and Messe Berlin have never before experienced a comparable situation. We would like to thank all exhibitors and partners around the world who have supported ITB Berlin in the past days and weeks, and look forward to continuing our trusting co-operation with our partners in the market.”

Federal officials in Germany were understood to have been against the staging of the annual showcase, with the risk of further coronavirus infections believed to be too high. There have to date been 60 cases reported in the country, with officials keen to avoid further contamination.

Messe Berlin has been pointing out for weeks that the decision to hold or cancel major events can only be made on the basis of the recommendation or instruction of the relevant authorities. Only these authorities have all the necessary information and expertise to draw the right conclusions, officials said.

Christian Göke, Chief Executive, Messe Berlin, added: “With more than 10,000 exhibitors from over 180 countries, ITB Berlin is of outstanding importance for the global tourism industry. We take our responsibility for the health and safety of our guests, exhibitors and employees very seriously. It is with a heavy heart that we look forward to the cancellation of ITB Berlin 2020, which has now become necessary.”

With 10,000 organisations and companies from over 180 countries attending, the event was fully-booked.

Click to add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NEIL STEEDMAN has been a trade journalist, copywriter, editor and proofreader for 52 years, and News & Features Editor for ‘Irish Travel Trade News’ for the past 42 years.

More in News

Lufthansa Reacts to Covid-19 and Grounds All A380s

Michael FloodApril 8, 2020

Government Gives Up to €15m PSO Funding to Three Ferry Companies

Michael FloodApril 8, 2020

UNWTO Launches #TravelTomorrow Campaign

Neil SteedmanApril 8, 2020

ITAA President’s Statement on Working on Behalf of Travel Trade

Neil SteedmanApril 7, 2020

Minister’s Statement on Support for Travel Sector

Neil SteedmanApril 7, 2020

Let Us Know How ITTN Can Help

Neil SteedmanApril 7, 2020

Eileen O’Mara Walsh, R.I.P.

Michael FloodApril 7, 2020
European Commission Logo

European Commission Update on Package Travel Directive

Michael FloodApril 7, 2020

Travel Counsellors Launches Welfare Fund for Business Owners

Neil SteedmanApril 7, 2020

Copyright © 2019 Belgrave Group Limited, C4 Nutgrove Office Park, Nutgrove Avenue, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14, Ireland