Sandy beaches, volcanic landscapes and quirky architecture. That’s Lanzarote in a nutshell. Here is everything you need to know if you are planning a holiday to this Canary Island.
Where is it?
Lanzarote is the easternmost of the Canary Islands, which sit in the Atlantic Ocean 80-odd miles off the Moroccan coast.
What’s the weather like?
Nice and warm – the island’s nickname is ‘the land of eternal spring’. In the summer, temperatures are pushing 30 degrees and there’s barely a drop of rain. Even in winter you can expect things to be in the high teens and early 20s, so you can swap your Uggs and bobble hat for a shorts-and-tee combo.
What can I do there?
Make Timanfaya National Park your first port of call. The moon-like landscape here is made up of around 100 volcanic craters known as the Fire Mountains – pour water into one of the boreholes and it’s vapourised in seconds. Manrique designed the restaurant here, and the chefs do away with bog-standard ovens and cook meals using the volcanic heat instead.
Put Jameos del Agua – another César creation – on your to-see list, as well. It’s a series of caves that hide a 600-seater concert hall, tropical gardens, a chic bar and restaurant, and a swimming pool.
On the beach side of things, you’ve got the towns of Puerto del Carmen and Costa Teguise. Both are home to a handful of golden sandy beaches, plus loads of bars and restaurants. The south coast has a couple of white-sand spots – head for Playa Blanca or Papagayo.
There’s a rundown of all the different resorts, too, so you can see which one you fancy.
Lanzarote offers from €369 with Falcon Holidays:
- 28-Jan-18, Dublin to Lanzarote, 3-star Tabaiba Apartments, Costa Teguise, SC, 7 nights from €369pp
- 21-Sep-17 Cork to Lanzarote, 4-star Flamingo Beach, Playa Blanca, AI, 7 nights from €849pp
- 02-Oct-17, Shannon to Lanzarote, 3-star Lanzasur Splash, Playa Blanca, AI, 7 nights from €659p
Last Minute Deals:
- 21-Sep-17, Dublin to Ibiza, 3-star Apartamentos Del Rey, Portinatx, SC, 14 nights from €299pp
- 20-Sep-17, Dublin to Majorca, 3-star Hotel Lagotel, Playa De Muro, AI, 7 nights from €659pp
Falcon #NRG-Young & Lively Holidays:
- 01-Oct-17, Dublin to Crete, 2-star Mika Apartments, Piskopiano, SC, 7 nights from €329 (based on four sharing)